Backdated Property Value for Capital Gains and Inheritance Tax

Published / Last Updated on 30/09/2019

If you do not know the value of a property when it was bought or ownership changed or interest transferred in a Will and you need it for Capital Gains Tax or Inheritance Tax calculations:

Check with Land Registry, HMRC and Probate Registry to see if they have any records (for older cases they usually will not have kept records).

If they do not have records:

  • You can ask HMRC to work out a backdated value for tax purposes
  • Ask an estate agent or Chartered Surveyor for a professional backdated valuation
  • Use Property Prices Index histories published by either Halifax, Nationwide, Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and/or Office for National Statitics.

HMRC will usually accept these when calculating taxes due.

Related Videos

Videos Channels

Explore our Site

Money MOT
T and C