Statutory Sick Pay Rules Extended on Omicron
Published / Last Updated on 20/12/2021
With effect from 10th December 2021, the sick pay note rules have been extended as follows:
- Normally required after 7 days of illness but now not required for sickness up to 28 days. At day 29 a doctor’s sick note is required.
Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
- Normal illness rules apply i.e. SSP is payable on day 4 of illness by your employer for up to 28 weeks.
- SSP for covid-19 illness or isolation is payable from day 1 of illness and not day 4.
- Maximum SSP remains at £96.35 per week provided you earn more than £120 per week.
End of Sick Note Relaxation
- This temporary extension ends on 27th January 2022 meaning the last day you can be off ill without the need for a sick note after 28 days is 26th January 2021.
This should reduce the workload for GPs enabling them to free up more time to administer vaccines and boosters.